Thursday, December 10, 2009

What is the technical term for a male ballet dancer?

Hi. I think I can answer your questions with some authority as I have been a professional ballet daner for many years and am now a choreographer and Artistic Director of a company in Texas. All of the answers posted here (so-far) are correct in some respects. To people who are unfamilier with ballet terms, I say that I am a "male ballet daner." When in rehearsals or class, I am a "Danseur" (this is the most accepted term for a male ballet dancer in the ballet world today). Lastly, there is a counter-part for the feminine term Ballerina -- the italian for Male Dancer is Ballerino. This is a VERY arcane term and NO ONE uses it anymore. When I was dancing in Tuscany a few years ago I was told that no one liked the way the word sounded so everyone in Europe and America simply uses the French term Danseur. I sincerely hope this helps. Have a great day!



What is the technical term for a male ballet dancer?headache



a ballet dancer



What is the technical term for a male ballet dancer?paramount theater opera theater



the french use this:



"danseur" (Male) "danseuse"(Female)



"premier danseur" (Male) "premiere danseuse" (Female)



There's no male counterpart to ballerina.



You probably just want to say dancer or male dancer or even male ballet dancer and leave it at that.
the other people say that there isnt a term but there is...



"ballerino" is mostly used.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd