Thursday, December 10, 2009

I'm sixteen years old and wanna start ballet can i still become an accomplished dancer?

As the mother of a dance major who has a partial scholarship, I'd like to amend that bit of what Joachin said. All of the college dance programs that I know (and I know quite a lot) have very limited funds for awarding scholarships. Of the few that offer full scholarships, they almost always go to guys, first, and then to girls who are otherwise already ready to become professional dancers. This way, the program gets a return on their "investment" because both the guys and those particular girls will have much better chances of landing dance jobs after graduation and will thus boost the program's reputation, as though they were instrumental in helping them along the way.



Most of the other scholarship amounts I've seen range from $1,000 to $10,000 a year (where the tuition ranges accordingly, so figure that the $10K would only cover about 1/3 of tuition) and those awards go to advanced level dancers. I just never heard of a student [edit: FEMALE student] starting dance at 16 years old and being able to get a scholarship. Sorry. Sure, you can find a college dance program that will accept you, but please don't get your hopes up that you're going to qualify for a scholarship.



Otherwise, I agree with Joachin: it depends on what you mean by "accomplished." While you can't become professional in ballet at your age, you can still become professional in other styles by building on a strong foundation in ballet and you can also aim for dancing with civic/ regional (amateur) ballet companies.



I'm sixteen years old and wanna start ballet can i still become an accomplished dancer?dream theater



yes. if you really work hard at it, and are a good dancer, smooth on your feet, then ofcourse!



good luck!



I'm sixteen years old and wanna start ballet can i still become an accomplished dancer?performing arts opera theater



Well you have to work hard. And I mean really hard!. And it is going to be toff, and you are going to take classes many times a week, but if you truly agree with this, then go for it. And anyway, ballet is really very wonderful and enjoyable, so just enjoy it! :)'



Good luck with your future! :D
it depends what you mean by accomplished, will you be good enough to go professional-probably not. I suppose you can be good enough for an amateur. I would encourage you to focus on another dance form. Many people start modern later in life (me, at the age of 19-now 23) or jazz. Sorry-Ballet is probably out of your league
To become a professional, you will need to basically commit your life to it. Don't go to just any ballet teacher, make sure your teacher REALLY takes it seriously, if this is what you want to do. It is amazingly fun, but I must warn you, it kills your feet, when I come home from lessons, my feet and legs ache so bad. But, I'm not going to quite because of it. You have to be graceful, have poise, and give your heart.



Wish you the best!
If by accomplished you mean good enough to be a professional ballerina - no, sorry. I'd ignore those who tell you that you can do anything if you work hard enough....it just isn't so. 99% of professional female dancers are well on their way by age 16. That being said though - You can possibly get good enough to get a dance scholarship for college - though most of the $$ goes to guys. You will need jazz and modern classes in addition to 10-15 hours a week on your feet with classes from a good teacher and a good dance school. You will need determination and iron discipline to even have a chance at becoming accomplished. You can have a career in dance through a degree in choreography or education even if you don't make through dance performance - in fact, most female dancers are done within 10 years while the choreographers and teachers are not limited by age at all. Remember a good diet, get good grades, and try to have a life outside dance. I wish you the best of luck.
Hello, Lium. I'm almost your age and I have the same dream - to become a dancer, just like you!



Of course, i had to give up the dream of being a prima ballerina, I can't start classes until January (which sucks) and so I've been using this time to prepare myself to push (and i mean HARD) to achieve getting en pointe by college. As much as I hate telling myself "It can't happen", sometimes you just have to believe it. Of course, this does not mean that all dance is a dream only fitting for the average five-year-old, there are so many dances out there!



With Ballet, you have to have a ENORMOUS amount of stregnth and flexibility. You'd have to be able to hold your leg waay high, straight, and with a pointed, while BALANCING on a piece of WOOD about HALF the size of a chalkboard eraser. Sounds challenging, and I find challenge appealing.



Think about what is "accomplished" to you. It took me a while to learn what my taking of "accomplished" was. After study of the art of Ballet and other dance, i decided that my dream was to be on the Corp De Ballet of a theater in my town. "Accomplished" is what you make it. I would also like to do some Tap and Jazz shows. I've been in tap for a good 5 years, but I've never done Jazz, it will be new to me.



But, like others have said, don't give up! Hell, i'm not givin' up (even though i kinda said i did.... let's keep this between just us ok?). Stretch DAILY, have DETERMINATION, and eat RIGHT (DDR lol).



Being thin is a requirement for ballet, but not for all dance. Do some research before you put your heart into it. Find which dance is best for you! There's a lot to pick from. :)



Jenine r_s, yer a mother of a dance major???? Why didn't you tell me that when you answered my other questions... If I have known that i would have taken yer answers more seriously. :/
well it's too late to become famous, but it's never too late to start dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd